Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
oven (Corinne always forgets to preheat…)
½ lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast
4 c. torn fresh spinach or ½ of one 10 oz. Package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
¼ c. thinly sliced green onion
1 8 oz. carton light dairy sour cream
¼ c. plain fat-free yogurt
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. salt
½ c. skim milk
1 4 oz. can diced green chili peppers, drained
6 7-inch flour tortillas
1/3 c. shredded reduced fat cheddar or monterey jack cheese (1.5 oz)
chopped tomato or salsa (optional)
thinly sliced green onion (optional)
- In a 3 quart saucepan place chicken in enough water to cover. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover, simmer about 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from saucepan. When cool enough to handle, use a fork to shred chicken into bite-size pieces. (You should have about 1½ cups.) Set aside.
- If using fresh spinach, place spinach in a steamer basket over boiling water. Reduce heat. Steam, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. (Or, cook in a small amount of boiling water, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes.) Drain well.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, spinach, and green onion. Set aside. In a bowl combine sour cream, yogurt, flour, cumin, and salt. Stir in milk and chili peppers. Divide sauce in half. Set one portion aside.
- For filling, combine one portion of the sauce and the chicken-spinach mixture. Divide the filling among the tortillas. Roll up tortillas. Place, seam side down, in an ungreased 2-quart rectangular baking dish. (At this point, you can cover baking dish and chill for up to 24 hours. Store the reserved sauce separately in a covered container and chill.)
- When ready to bake, spoon reserved portion of sauce over tortillas. Bake, uncovered, in a 350o
oven about 25 minutes or until heated through. (Add 10 to 15 minutes to cooking time if prepared ahead and chilled.) Sprinkle with cheese; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped tomato or salsa and additional green onion
- Makes 6 enchiladas.