Skillet Gnocchi with Chard and White Beans
We discovered this one in our quest to introduce more beans into our (and Anders's) diet. Pick up some chard, and everything else is a pantry staple.
In this one-skillet supper, we toss dark leafy greens, diced tomatoes and white beans with gnocchi and top it all with gooey
mozzarella. Serve with a mixed green salad with vinaigrette.
- 1 T plus 1 t extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c water
- 6 c chopped chard leaves or spinach (~1 small bunch)
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- 15 oz can white beans, rinsed
- 1/4 t freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 c shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.