- 1 c fresh or dried bread crumbs
- 2 1/2 T olive oil
- 1/3 c minced shallots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced (1/4 inch)
- 2 15-oz cans small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 oz turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch think on the diagonal
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 t dried Herbes de Provence (See note)
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1/2 c reduced fat chicken broth
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
Note: For your own Herbes de Provence, combine:
- In a bowl, mix bread crumbs and 2 T oil until well combined.
- Pour remaining 1/2 T oil into a 3-quart ovenproof pan over medium heat. When hot, add shallots, garlic and carrot and stir occasionally until carrot is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add beans, chicken, sausage, tomatoes, herbes de Provence, bay leaf, chicken broth, salt and pepper; stir until well combined.
- Cover and bake in a 350-degree oven until beans are hot, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle top evenly with bread-crumb mixture. Bake until top is browned and edges are bubbling, about 20 minutes longer.
- Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 1/8 t dried marjoram
- 1/8 t dried savory
- 1/8 t dried basil
- 1/8 t dried rosemary
- 1/8 t sage
- 1/8 t crushed fennel seeds