Source: Ilvedson family recipe
- 4.5-5 lb pork shoulder roast (bone-in)
- 2 t salt
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/2 t cumin
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 c salsa
- 1 c cheese (jack)
- 12 flour tortillas
- Place meat in deep pan, just barely covering w/ water. Add salt, oregano, cumin, onion.
- Bring water to boil, cover pan and simmer meat gently for 2.5 hrs. Lift meat from stock (save for gravy or soup stock) and place in a baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45 – 1 hr or until meat is very well browned. Drain off all fat.
- Strain the stock using about 2/3 of it to make a very thin gravy.
- Cut meat into cubes, approx 1 inch (or shred).
- (At this point, the meat and gravy can be frozen for use later. Freeze in sizes appropriate to make reheating easy - See Note below.)
- Put meat into hot gravy and simmer 1 hr.
- Lay tortillia in 9x12 baking pan, add generous large spoonful of meat, 1.5 T salsa, generous sprinkling of shredded cheese. Repeat w/ remaining 11 tortillas.
- Pour remainder of gravy over the top, sprinkle generously w/ shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 about 30 – 45 min until bubbly.
For 2 c cubed meat, use 3 c thin gravy in 8x8 pan with 6 tortillas.
For 4 c cubed meat, use 5 c thin gravy in 9x13 pan with 12 tortillas.
4.5-5 lb pork roast makes about 6 c cubed meat.