Fried Chickpeas with Chorizo
To celebrate his birthday, our friend Rat held ethnic-themed dinner parties where everyone was instructed to bring a dish from a particular country's cuisine. We attended Spanish night, and this was our contribution.
- 1/4 c olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 c cooked or canned chickpeas, as dry as possible
- salt and black pepper
- 4 oz chorizo, diced (Spanish preferred)
- 1/2 lb spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 c sherry
- 1-2 c bread crumbs
- Heat the broiler
- Put three tablespoons of the oil in a skillet large enough to hold chickpeas in one layer over medium-high heat. When itís hot, add chickpeas and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until chickpeas begin to brown, about 10 minutes, then add chorizo. Continue cooking for another 5 to 8 minutes or until chickpeas are crisp; use a slotted spoon to remove chickpeas and chorizo from pan and set aside.
- Add the remainder of the 1/4 cup of oil to the pan; when itís hot, add spinach and sherry, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook spinach over medium-low heat until very soft and the liquid has evaporated. Add chickpeas and chorizo back to the pan and toss quickly to combine; top with bread crumbs, drizzle with a bit more oil and run pan under the broiler to lightly brown the top. Serve hot or at room temperature.