For the sauce:
For the filling:
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, stems and seeds removed, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 t chili powder
- 1 1/2 t toasted cumin seeds, freshly ground
- 2 c chicken broth
- 3 c tomato sauce
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- 10 oz package frozen spinach (or equivalent fresh, steamed)
- 1 1/2 c diced onion
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 t dried oregano
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 3 c shredded queso fresco or Monterey Jack
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Combine the chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chiles are soft. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken until cooked through, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and place in a medium bowl.
- Add the onions to the same pan along with a generous pinch of salt, decrease the heat to medium-low and sweat for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and oregano and cook until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add the thawed (or steamed) spinach to pan and heat until warm and most of the liquid evaporates.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and remove from the heat.
- Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Place 1/2 cup of the sauce into the bottom of the dish. Dip 4 tortillas into the remaining sauce and lay them into the bottom of the dish. Cut 1 of the tortillas in half to evenly cover the bottom of the dish. Top this with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup of the cheese. Starting with 4 more tortillas, repeat the layers, ending with the last 4 tortillas on top. Pour remaining sauce over the dish and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is bubbly.