Chorizo Bread Pudding
At their Seattle restaurant Eva, The Spanish Table's ex-wine manager, James Hondros, and his wife, Amy, do a version of Migas elevating it to Chorizo Bread Pudding by adding eggs, butter and cream which they serve with Amontillado Sherry Braised Rabbit. When asked if he has favorite recipes from the meals he ate during his childhood summers on visits to his ancestral mountain village in Greece, James likes to
grumble that, "All little old ladies in black are not born cooks." This is a country dish completely citified but it works so well it has been on the menu since the day Eva opened.
Ingredients1 loaf crusty bread
2 c cream (you could use half milk)
2 T butter
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 lb semi-cured chorizo, diced
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a casserole dish.
- In a saute pan, meld butter over medium heat. Saute the onion, but do not brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and cream. Add the bread and toss to coat.
- When the onion softens, add the chorizo and toss.
- Stir the onions and chorizo into the bread and cream mixture. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour into the prepared casserole and bake until custard is set and the top is slightly brown.